By Aby Yap
Before Popoy’s “She had me at my worst. You had me at my best.” and Basha’s “Sana ako pa rin. Ako na lang. Ako na lang ulit.” have turned us into big cry-babies, these are the lines that held our moms and titas spellbound. Their hugot power is so strong that we can’t help but relate them to life’s mundane realities.
Classic #Hugot Quotes
- “Once, twice, thrice. Gaano ba kadalas ang minsan?”
Hilda Koronel, Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan (1982)
How do you quantify “sometimes” especially when you’re on a diet and you have to limit your rice intake? This calls for a refresher on the adverbs of time.
- “Kung hindi tayo kikilos, sino ang kikilos? Kung hindi ngayon, kailan pa?”
Vilma Santos, Sister Stella L. (1984)
As in the 80s, procrastination still remains an issue up to this day. Note to ourselves: we need to shake this mañana habit off NOW.
- “Ayoko ng tinatapakan ako. Ayoko ng masikip. Ayoko ng mabaho. Ayoko ng walang tubig. Ayoko ng walang pagkain. Ayoko ng putik!”
Maricel Soriano, Kaya kong Abutin ang Langit (1984)
This is exactly how it’s like to ride the MRT on rainy days. Good luck!
- “You’re nothing but a second-rate, trying-hard copycat!”
Cherie Gil, Bituing Walang Ningning (1985)
When your BFF-Twinny transforms into your #1 Frenemy and you can no longer stand it, fill a glass with wine and throw it in her/his face while doing this Lavinia speech.
- “Para kang karinderyang bukas sa lahat ng gustong kumain.”
Vilma Santos, Palimos ng Pag-ibig (1986)
This one is dedicated to all the food pornographers on social media. If you value our friendship, don’t mock our resolve to stick to our diet. You heartless tormentors!
- Georgia: “Ang problema sa ‘yo, maaga kang ipinanganak!”
Delfin: “Ang problema naman sa ‘yo, huli kang ipinanganak!”
Sharon Cuneta and Fernando Poe Jr., Kahit Konting Pagtingin (1990)
As proven by Bossing and Pauline, (1) age doesn’t matter, (2) love wins anytime, and (3) bashers always lose.
- “Get out of my house. I don’t need a parasite!”
Maricel Soriano, Separada (1994)
Freeloaders, beware! Pay for your own stuff or we’ll kick you out. This also goes for all the fleas and ticks that feed on our beloved pets’ blood. You’re no Cullens.
- “Pasensya ka na. Hindi ako katulad mong napaka-purrfect!”
Lea Salonga, Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal (1995)
Don’t dare us. We’ll say the last word with an intense twang if you keep pointing out every mistake we make. Though we’re hari/reyna ng sablay, we’re only human.
- “Ganyan talaga ang buhay, parang gulong. Minsan nasusunog.”
Rufa Mae Quinto, Booba (2001)
Non sequitur? Don’t judge the quote by the movie title. Its profundity could put the Sphinx to shame when you mull over the concept. Because life doesn’t make sense at times.
- “Oo, inaamin ko, saging lang kami. Pero maghanap ka ng puno sa buong Pilipinas, saging lang ang may puso! Saging lang ang may puso!”
Mark Lapid, Apoy sa Dibdib ng Samar (2006)
When you don’t know what to say to hecklers anymore, try this. Almost certainly, they’ll leave you alone.